Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Please call me Charlie


A few months ago, Jacob's class started reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. When his teacher, Vanessa (with him in the picture), reported that Jake was really enjoying the story, I bought him a copy of the book. Whenever he and I went for coffee, I'd bring the book along and we'd spend the time reading. He LOVED the story. At one point, I must have called him Charlie and he laughed. So I did it again and again. And he kept laughing. Finally I gave him a choice and asked if he wanted to change his name to Charlie. My son gave me an unequivocal YES! So he is now referred to as "Charlie" and sometimes by his full name "Charlie Buckett".

How ironic is it that Jacob (I mean Charlie), who doesn't tolerate any food in his mouth, prefers to be referred to by the name of a fictional character whose favorite thing in the world is chocolate?

Some of you might remember that a few years ago he wanted to change his name to Wanda. I guess Charlie is a move in the right direction...

No comments: